I’m a huge fan of light/ minimal makeup all year just because it makes getting ready quicker for me but it’s especially important to me in the summertime.I like to keep things fresh and natural looking while also still feeling confident. I already have oily skin in my T zone and it just gets worse over the summer when I’m more active and it’s hot & humid outside. I like to focus on a strong base to keep things in place and lightweight products that can withstand humidity and sweat.
I even made my very first TikTok for today’s post which you can check out on my IG reels or @Leah_Carolyn on TikTok.
My Summer Makeup Routine
Like I said in my intro I really like to focus on a strong base that will lock everything in place and do half the work for me so I don’t have to actually apply as much makeup.
- Bare Republic Gel-Lotion Face Sunscreen SPF 30– This is a mineral sunscreen that feels lighter than a traditional lotion. It has a nice, fresh summery scent to it. The best I could describe it as would be like lime and cucumber
- Elf Pore-less Putty Primer– People have been raving about this product on TikTok, saying that it’s a great dupe for Tatcha and while I have never had the opportunity to try the Tatcha primer, I think this one does a great job at filling in pores and keeping my makeup smooth and in place.
- Chanel Les Beiges Healthy Glow Lip Balm– if you follow me on Instagram you would have seen this product last week. I bought it mostly for the fancy packaging but I love wearing it for a light wash of color on my lips and it does a great job keeping them moisturized without any sticky feeling.
The absolute most important step in my makeup/skin care all year is SPF but especially in summer time. I recently switched to a mineral sunscreen for the environmental impact but whatever works for your skin is what you should be using.
When it comes to actually face makeup I like to keep it pretty light. On most days I don’t even wear a full base (like BB Cream ect.)
- Clinique BB Gel Cream– This one is a little iffy with very light or very dark skin tones so I can’t recommend it for every one but if you have light to tan skin this BB gel will color match your skin giving you a nice little glow. I most just like it for the light, gel texture so if you have any other recommendations let me know down below!
- Revlon Photoready Candid Concealer– this is a recent addition to my makeup and I have been loving it. I’ve found it blends out best with a mini sponge or just your fingers. It’s a nice medium coverage making it perfect if you just want to spot correct and not wear a full face.
- Wet n Wild Color Icon Bronzer in Sunset– this is a great affordable bronzer option that will give you a healthy summer glow without looking too heavy or sculpted. It has the slightest shimmer in it so it is NOT made for contouring.
I like to keep my face makeup light and stay away from heavy coverage during the summer because I know I will be sweating. No one wants to see a line in your foundation from where a drop of sweat ran down your face.
I keep it really simple with my eyes year round. I’ll throw a little concealer on my eyelids to even them out but it should never be used as an eyeshadow primer.
- Benefit Gimme Brow– i have been using this for years and I can’t see myself replacing it anytime soon. It adds volume and color to your brows while also locking them in place so they stay all day. This can easily be the last step in your brow routine too if you like a sharper more sculpted look
- Lancome GRANDIOSE Waterproof Mascara- This mascara has the most unique wand that helps me get every lash. It has great staying power in water without being too tough to get off at the end of the day. It’s a little expensive but one tube lasts me all summer.
One of my favorite features to highlight is my eyes so I like to make them appear brighter and more open without adding too much more around the area to take attention away from them. This seems especially important now when we’re wearing masks and the eyes are the only thing most people see.
This might seem like a lot for a “light” summer makeup but honestly most days I just throw on concealer and mascara if anything at all. I like to keep my look fresh and polished and I think this makeup combo is the perfect sweet spot between put together and natural.
Make sure you follow my Instagram and Pinterest for more style and beauty posts 🙂
Great post! We are linking to this particularly great article on our website. Keep up the good writing. Myrta Aubrey Catharine